Cardiovascular disease (CVD) remains the global leading cause of death. Much of this burden of disease can be prevented or at least the risk reduced by controlling the modifiable cardiovascular risk factors such as hypertension, smoking, diabetes, excess weight and raised cholesterol. (more…)
Women with endometriosis may face a 60% higher risk of developing coronary heart disease (CHD) than women without the disorder, a new study suggests. Endometriosis is estimated to have a prevalence of up to 5% in fertile and 25%-40 % in infertile women. (more…)
Condylomata acuminata (CA) or external genital warts, are one of the most common forms of sexually transmitted diseases affecting the general population. Based on genital examinations, prevalence ranges from 0.2% to 5%. (more…)
The de-institutionalisation process, so attractive in principle and so easy to defend in the abstract, can go catastrophically wrong if community-based resources are not in place prior to implementation. It is quite clear that the NGO’s to which the Esidimeni patients were transferred were completely lacking in the personnel, facilities and knowledge required to manage […]
Data often gets the numbers right, but the people wrong. For this reason, Investec Private Banking is offering an alternative perspective on bank-client relations with a new campaign #MoreThanData that focuses on the importance of individual needs, wants and preferences. (more…)
- Cholesterol and CVD: Are men and women different?
- The Chameleon
- Are genital warts curable?
- Where is the care in our healthcare system?
- Can data tell your whole story?
- Recombinant fusion protein, aflibercept, launched in SA
- Genetic testing offers South Africans powerful personalised healthcare
- Lower back pain is not something you have to live with
- VEGF trap-eye
- The ABCD of malaria prophylaxis
- Should we adopt inclusive approaches to drug use? February 22, 2017
- Call for review of mental healthcare service provision February 22, 2017
- SA’s trivial attitude to heart health February 22, 2017
- Africa’s healthcare challenges addressed at Novartis Future Trends Forum February 22, 2017
- New Chemotherapy Administration Guidelines February 22, 2017